Saturday, May 20, 2017

Ann Hill Sampler - Plodding Along

The stitching on Ann Hill continues!  Like I said in previous posts, because I elected to stitch the border in a manner that works for me, it's just a lot of extra steps and just takes more time.  It is, what it is!  Stitching is much like life!  It's a marathon and not a sprint, so you just have to resolve yourself, that you finish when you finish, and what happens between the start and finish, you have little control over.

By the way, I don't know what it is that I manage to locate errors in charts, but I found one in Ann Hill.  Area 7 on the chart says you are supposed to stitch this band in 822/5830/268, except the chart does not call for any of these colors!   By looking at the photo, I am doing it in color DMC 613, as it looks like the beige to me!

My mother left for Illinois today, to visit my sister for several months.  I got my sewing machine chair back, at least for the next several months.  My mom takes up residence in my "task chair/office chair" to watch TV.  I know it's so she can hear the TV better, am so hoping the purchase of hearing aids, which were obtained under duress by her, will help!  Because having the decibel level so high on the TV so that she can hear it, really results in the rest of the family having raging headaches by 10 p.m.

Because their is now an vacancy in my sewing machine chair, I was able to finish off 2 sides of a tent flap, that I have been sewing for my hubbie, on his own design, after the flap to our tent just up and disappeared.  I completed two sides this morning, and have a few other sewing machine tasks, I really need to finish!  But...I felt sort of mean asking my mom to vacate my chair, so I just put those tasks off until she was on her visit to my sister.  

Speaking of sewing, I bought a serger, or two.  Actually I bought a Kenmore Serger when we first moved here.  I was so intimidated, I never used it!  So it sat collecting dust.  I then went out on the internet and searched for a serger that could be operated by idiots!  Brother 1034/D, so I bought that too.  I must admit, I still have to use the aid of a YouTube video to thread it, but it has come in so very handy. Meanwhile I tried to sell the first serger, with no takers.  People just don't do that type of sewing these days, in addition, the ones that do, many are intimidated by using a serger too!  This week I was talking to one of my good friends in the area, and she was saying how she almost called me up to see if I could serge something for her.  I told her I would have gladly done that for her.  But, she used an overlock stitch from her sewing machine.  The next day, I remembered I still had the Kenmore serger, gathering dust.  I called her up and offered to it for free, no strings attached, just wanted it to go to someone who would use it.

My serger has been used in sewing slip covers, I serge all the edges of my needlework so it doesn't fray.  It even works on Aida!  I have managed to serge seams on T-shirts that came undone.  I used it to serge several layers of fabrics together, so that they won't slide, when I go to do the final sewing.  All in all, it's been a good investment, and now one, I don't regret. 

In my last post, I neglected to post pictures I the new charts, I purchased to add to my stash.  So much for my resolve to not add to my stash, until I made a huge dent in my stash.  Oh the temptation!

Well, that's all for the week. Got a busy week ahead, and hope that I will be able to get some house cleaning in as well.  My mom comes looking for me if I'm gone too long.  So, until the next post,
HAPPY Stitching!


4 comments:

  1. Very nice progress on Ann Hall! Hmmm, maybe you could get your Mom her very own "sewing machine chair". Hopefully, the hearing aids will help with her TV watching. Have a good week, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that sampler Pam! You received some great stash. What is the dark green one? I cant get a good look at it. It looks like something I may want! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Anna Eliza Herbert by the the Porcupine collection.

      Delete
    2. So envious of all your beautiful & varied samplers to hang. Looking forward to trying your technique for freehand - great tip! I did Amy Eliza Herbert a number of years ago. It had several several stitches other than cross stitch which kept it interesting but not difficult. Colors are beautiful. Used a burled frame with inlay for interest. Think you'll enjoy this project - and no freehand!!

      Delete