Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Spangled Finish


Even as I used the last piece of DMC 310, I think this sampler was conspiring against me!  When I took my other 6 samplers in for framing, I thought for sure, I had maybe another week till a finish on Spangled.  Nope, two weeks. A full two weeks of constantly stitching on this piece, realizing I have put my own form of pressure on myself, to complete this, and get it framed for a Christmas Gift.  Just when I thought I was finished, I realized I forgot to add a motif here, oh and I forgot another one here.  And….oh boy, these 3 dots aren’t stitched.  I finally got to the very last length of DMC 310 to finish the backstitching, and I can tell you I had to pick out at least 3 major thread knots.  Not only that, but I actually pulled my needle off twice, it went flying and I had to get on my hands and knees to locate.


As soon as the last stitch was put in, I was already heating up my iron, to quickly press and run out to the framer.  I was never so happy to finish this and have it gone!  Don’t get me wrong, Long Dog Samplers are just plain beautiful.  They have lots of color and variety, but they should under no circumstance be undertaken when under a timeframe!  Way too intricate in thread colors and thread changes!  We as stitchers just don’t need the pressure!


I thought I would take a few days off, before starting a new project, just to unwind from Spangled, and to be quite honest, take care of some other things.  I managed to sort through the last of my mom’s jewelry to decide what to do with it.  Some is just displayed, waiting for the girls to arrive at Thanksgiving and decided if they want anything left.  I managed to break down some IKEA wire storage racks, so it’ll be easier for my son to take back with him to Norfolk, I put an ad on Market place for my mother’s suitcases, and let my kids know about some of the items that will be traveling back to their own homes when they leave after Thanksgiving.  With my husband pushing at downsizing, it’s time to get rid of things, and also not to be free storage for my children’s things that no longer live here.


It’s bad enough trying to get my husband to go through and get rid of things.  Sometimes, I feel like I’m rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, with his things.  If it were up to me, I’d absolutely have no difficulty tossing lots of the stuff.  But, if you ever watched an episode of Hoarders, where a family member gets rid of something without the Hoarders approval, well…….all I can say is MAJOR MELTDOWN!


I have a couple of sewing projects, I really should just finish, and I still have to clean the living room up, and I still have a major grocery shop to do before Thanksgiving, for those “fresh” items like apples, and grapes, and celery.  Maybe prebake a few pies before the big day.

In the meantime, I wish you all the happiest of stitching!

1 comment: